Admissions: India, Illinois (U.S.)
M.B.L. National Law School of India University
LLB. Bangalore University
J.D. Indiana University
M.A. Indiana University
B.M. DePauw University
Russell A. Stamets is an Indian advocate and U.S. lawyer with distinctive experience helping foreign companies navigate the intricacies of doing business in India and Indian promoters and companies at home and abroad. He routinely advises entrepreneurs, companies and individuals on commercial transactions, market entry planning, state and central government relations, regulatory issues and all types of dispute resolution, from arbitration to white collar crime investigations. Mr. Stamets focuses on practical, reality based solutions to help advance and protect clients in the attractive and challenging Indian market.
Mr. Stamets is particularly focused and dedicated helping Indian entrepreneurs and established promoters grow and defend their business interests abroad and at home.
He is dual-qualified in India and the United States and was the first non-Indian general counsel of a publicly traded Indian company. He has been designated a certified corporate director by the Institute of Directors in New Delhi and he is on the Advisory Council of the Ethical Alliance, an international compliance organization.
Mr. Stamets has particular expertise in compliance matters including investigations and litigation concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, World Bank integrity investigations and similar anti-corruption investigations involving corporate bodies. He writes and speak frequently on the subject internationally and is a contributing editor to the FCPABlog, the most widely read electronic resource for integrity and compliance.
Mr. Stamets’ practice focuses on corporate transactions and regulatory advisory, particularly regarding direct investments across Asia, Europe and the U.S. In private practice and as general counsel for the major financial services company Religare, Mr. Stamets has advised Indian companies on disputes, acquisitions, and other investments abroad.
Mr. Stamets brings more than 15 years of diverse legal experience in international business and financial transactions in Asia and the United States. He was Chief Legal and Regulatory Affairs Officer for TataSky, and President and General Counsel of Religare Enterprises. He previously practiced with several large international law firms, including Heller Ehrman and DLA Piper Rudnick, from posts in Singapore, Silicon Valley and Chicago. He has advised Indian companies such as Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories on their business strategies and advised pioneering Indian asset manager ICICI Ventures in its fund formation and investment strategy in life sciences.
Mr. Stamets is a keen left-handed opening batsman and the Founder President of the American Cricket Club of India.
· Successfully defended an Indian company against a U.S. party in a Singapore arbitration over share ownership and cross-border employment and other claims.
· Represented Indian company in the market’s first acquisition of a multi-billion dollar U.S. asset manager, including Indian regulatory approval for the transaction.
· Advised Indian private equity fund on direct investments in life science and technology companies in India and the United States
· Represented U.S.-based media and educational company in commercial and IP litigation across India.
· Advised Indonesian tire manufacturer on acquisition in Thailand and IP dispute in Korea.
· Represented U.S. offshore oil and gas support company in negotiations with Indian exploration company.