AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Governance & Ethics
- White Collar Crime Defence
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Compliance & Internal Investigation
- Foreign Exchange Management Laws
- Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Advisory
- Cyber-Crime & Cyber Security
- Law of Crimes
Karnal Singh is the driving force behind the dispute resolution practice at Circle of Counsels. Karnal specializes in advising clients and formulating intricate strategies for some of the most complex and challenging litigations in the country. He is an ex-IPS officer who retired as the Chief of the Enforcement Directorate where he dealt extensively with investigations pertaining to white-collar crimes. He advises clients, on anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, frauds, compliance, economic crime defense, issues related to cryptocurrency & blockchain technology, cyber-crime, and investigations.
With over three decades of distinguished years of experience being an IPS officer, Karnal has extensive knowledge of governance, anti-money laundering investigations, foreign exchange regulation, and criminal investigations. His long tenure as a decorated IPS officer has been commended by the government with distinguished medals like President Police Medal for Distinguished Service in 2008, President Police Medal for Meritorious Service in 2002 and Satyendra K. Dubey Memorial Award in 2021 which was given by IIT Kanpur to recognize his exemplary service to humanity while serving as an IPS officer.
During his tenure as the Director of the Enforcement Directorate, he also held an additional charge as Director of the Financial Investigation Unit of India (FIU) and contributed to the preparation of the draft Fugitive Economic Offenders Act. Karnal also represented the Government of India before the Financial Action Task Force and Interpol. He led investigations under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act relating to the 2G scam, Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi, Bank of Baroda, Augusta Westland, Panama paper leaks, bank frauds, coal blocks, and iron ore, and cases under Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). Karnal Singh also led the Special Cell of Delhi Police which cracked several terrorism cases during his leadership.
The experience of Karnal as a civil servant brings in the viewpoint of an investigations expert and enables him to impart unique and critical strategic advice to tackle investigations and trials led by various enforcement agencies and provide guidance to clients in relation to compliance requirements.
Karnal often writes articles and is invited to speak at various seminars, public events & conferences on topics pertaining to anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, the foreign exchange management act and leadership. He has also authored the book – Batla House: an encounter that shook the nation.
Representations & Engagement – Highlights
- Advisor to One97 Communication Ltd.
- Advising a unicorn fintech start-up on their policy formulations and compliances.
- Advising a crypto-currency exchange on investigation under Foreign Exchange Management Act.
- Advising a company engaged in money transfer service on their investigation under Foreign Exchange Management Act.
- Advising a health insurance company on several criminal matters registered against it.
- Advising a leading pharmaceutical company on investigation against them under Customs Act.
- Advising a leading fintech company in their investigation under general criminal laws pertaining to economic offences and under Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
- Advising several road constructions companies in investigations under Prevention of Corruption Act and Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
- Advised an NBFC on policy issues concerning Foreign Exchange Management Act, issues pertaining to Prevention of Money Launder Act and general criminal law.
- Advised a multi-national e-commerce company on their strategy to deal with investigation under Foreign Exchange Management Act.
- Advised a law firm on complex issues pertaining to inheritance and Foreign Exchange Management Laws.
- Tech, Electrical and Electronical Engineering, Delhi College of Engineering (now Delhi Technological University) – 1979
- Tech, IIT Kanpur – 1981
- Bachelor of Law (LLB), V.M. Salgaocar Law College, Goa – 2003
- MBE with specialisation in Finance, Faculty of management Studies (FMS), Delhi University – 2008
- Diploma in Information Technology, Asian School of Cyber Laws, Pune – 2002
- In-service Course & Training on Asset Recovery, World Bank
- In-service Course & Training on Cyber Crime Investigation, Centre for Development & Advanced Computing
- Satyendra K. Dubey Memorial Award 2021 by IIT-Kanpur – awarded to one distinguished alumni of all IITs
- President of India – Police Medal for Distinguished Service
- President of India – Police Medal for Meritorious Service
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of Bar Council of India.
- Executive Member of Global Counter Terrorism Council (“GCTC”).
- President of Delhi Police Retired Gazetted Officers Organisation.
- Patron, Alumni Committee, Delhi Technological University.
- Chairman of Admissions Committee & Sub-Committee for Cyber Security Laboratory, Institute of Cyber Security & Law, Delhi University.
- Member of Governing Body of Institute of Cyber Security & Law, Delhi University.